We are thrilled to partner with Alliance for Children to support your home study needs. Here's what to expect in the home study process.
1. Complete the Alliance for Children application.
The first step in a home study is a completed application.
- For families in Arkansas, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, or Rhode Island, download the application here.
- For families in New York, download the application here.
2. Email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org, and schedule time with Laurie Shelton (click here) to discuss which PairTree package is right for you.
Once your application is complete, then we will connect you to Lauren Cullinane, the home study coordinator at Alliance for Children, and you will pay the $500 application fee.
3. Select PairTree package
After your application is reviewed, accepted, and you have paid your full invoice to Alliance for Children, then PairTree will email you the option to upgrade to Complete!
4. Receive documents and set-up portal access.
After your invoice is paid, Lauren Cullinane will help get you started.
- Lauren will send you an email with three attachments:
- 1) your "home study packet" (a.k.a. your "paperwork")
- 2) training materials, and
- 3) your "family portal" instructions (where you will create a login so you can use the portal to upload completed home study documents). There'll also be a link to schedule a 30-minute orientation call (see Step 4 below).
5. Schedule & attend orientation call (before you start your paperwork!)
Your orientation call will be with Jenn Tobin. During this required 30 minute session, Jenn will review the home study packet and the process for submitting your completed documents. Pro tip: Prior to the orientation call, be sure to begin the process of writing your autobiographies using the autobiographical outline in your home study packet.
6. Start clearances and complete home study packet.
After orientation, you will begin with your background clearances and complete the remaining paperwork in your home study packet.
- Completing your auto-biography is required before the initial home visit, but the rest of the paperwork you can work on throughout the entire process.
- This a good time to reflect, practice mindfulness, and take it one page at a time. You got this!
- Be sure to upload your completed documents in the family portal, in accordance to the instructions provided. Note: it may take ~7-10 days (after receiving the initial email from Lauren) before you can start uploading documents into the portal.
7. Complete adoption education and schedule interviews.
Alliance for Children has a comprehensive Education and Training log that can be fulfilled with courses from Adoption Learning Partners or Creating a Family.
- As a PairTree family, you get free, unlimited access to Creating a Family - so we recommend that route!
- This is also when you will schedule your meetings with your social worker, including your home visit. The home visit is a chance for them to get to know you, take a tour of your home, assess for safety concerns, and go over your required documents. Don't be nervous! Most families say this was one of their favorite parts of the home study.
8. Become home study approved!
Once your pre-placement report is finalized, you are officially home study approved! Take time to celebrate this achievement. You will receive a confirmation letter which you will use for your PairTree Connect profile and with any other professionals supporting your adoption journey.